Bannings and actions
What is the Banned & Disqualified search?
The Banned & Disqualified search provides information about people who have been:
- disqualified from involvement in the management of a corporation
- disqualified from auditing self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs), or
- banned from practising in the financial services of credit industry.
Information provided in this search is taken from the following registers:
- disqualified persons register
- credit banned/disqualified register
- Australian financial services (AFS) banned/disqualified persons register
- banned securities representatives register (pre-AFS licences)
- banned futures representatives register (pre-AFS licences), and
- disqualified SMSF auditors.
How can I perform a Banned & Disqualified search?
You can perform a banned & disqualified search in three ways, by using:
- ASIC Connect banner - Select the 'Banned & Disqualified' option from the 'Search ASIC registers' drop down menu located at the top of the page,
- 'Search Companies and other registers' page - Select the 'Banned & Disqualified' option from the 'Search ASIC registers' drop down menu located in the middle of the screen, or
- 'Search SMSF auditor register' page - Select the 'Banned & Disqualified' option from the 'Search ASIC registers' drop down menu located in the middle of the screen.
What information can I see for free?
Information we provide for free includes:
- type of banning or disqualification
- date of commencement, and
- date of cessation (or whether it is permanent).
You will also be able to view the banning document for a person registered on the Credit banned/disqualified register.
The role undertaken by that person when the disqualification took place will not appear.
What information can I purchase?
You can purchase the disqualification or banning document, which will provide further information regarding the person's disqualification or banning.
Register of Disqualified Officers (accessed from the ORIC website)
This register contains information about people who have been disqualified from managing corporations either by a court or by the Registrar. It also contains information about disqualified officers who have been granted leave to manage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations.
A person who is disqualified under Part 6-5 of the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 is automatically disqualified from managing companies registered under section 206B(5) of the Corporations Act 2001.
You can find out whether the person has undertaken not to take part in the management of a corporation, or carry on a financial services business. This information will not appear on the banned registers.
See our glossary for a definition of terms.
These can provide additional services for obtaining information on our public registers and may include information from sources other than ASIC.