Running of companies
Disputes between officeholders and/or members of small proprietary companies generally relate to the legal rights of those involved under the constitution of the company. As such, they do not affect consumers or investors in the broader community. Please read the following information on resolving these disputes:
- Disputes between officeholders and/or members of small proprietary companies (INFO 162)
Watch our Youtube video on Disputes between officeholders and/or members of small proprietary companies.
- Misconduct within a company under external administration (INFO 175)
Companies limited by guarantee: For information about companies limited by guarantee such as recreational (sports and bowling clubs), cultural and charitable organisations, please read:
- Companies limited by guarantee - Disputes about members' rights (INFO 215)
Failing to pay debts: If you are concerned about phoenix activity, please read:
- Illegal phoenix activity (INFO 212)
Watch our YouTube video about Illegal phoenix activity.
Or read the transcript.
For disputes about small proprietary companies failing to pay debts please read:
- Disputes about unpaid debts: Small proprietary companies (INFO 173)
Watch our YouTube video on Disputes about unpaid debts: Small proprietary companies.
Accessing company information: If you are a member of a company and you are concerned about accessing the companies information see:
- Disputes about access to company information (INFO 186).
For information about the use of the words 'Limited', 'No Liability' or 'Proprietary' in a company name see:
- Using 'Limited', 'No Liability' or 'Proprietary' in a name (INFO 189).
For disputes involving a business that is not a registered company (i.e. it does not have an ACN) - for example, about unpaid debts, contact: State or territory consumer affairs
We also recommend you seek legal advice to discuss the matter or resolve it through mediation. If you are unsure of how to access legal advice contact the Law Society in your state or territory.
If there is evidence that a company or company officer has acted illegally we may consider taking action: